To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing. For, “The one who desires life, to love and see good days, Must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit. “He must turn away from evil and do good; He must seek peace and pursue it. “For the eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, And His ears attend to their prayer, But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” Who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? (1 Peter 3:8-13).
Here is a biblical blueprint for those who want to love life and desire good days.
- Be harmonious: the appeal is to be like-minded. I find it interesting that Christians ought to have a similar mindset toward each other. Their fundamental disposition should be the same, not unique. What should be the same? This list here is a pretty good start: sympathetic, kindhearted, and humble. God wants us all to demonstrate this kind of attitude towards each other.
- Be sympathetic – the idea here is to be able to place yourself in someone else’s shoes (so to speak) and be able to identify with the struggle and stress they may be going through. The basic idea is having sympathy for someone else.
- Brotherly – the root concept here is to treat others like they are family. The assumption is that the love one would show to one’s blood family ought to be the same attitude we would have to other believers because they are family in Christ.
- Be kindhearted – having a kind heart towards others. Showing kindness means to treat others carefully and with the desire that you would treat them as you would desire others to treat you. Being kind is not about demonstrating sarcasm, our wit, making the other person look foolish. There is a sense of protecting them from all harm.
- Be humble – the starting point of humility is that I see myself through the eyes of my heavenly Father. Only then can I see my own value the way God sees me. I see my worth in light of being created in His image and by the fact that He has redeemed me, and I am greatly loved as a child of God. Then I can properly see the value of others while still understanding our brokenness and sin.
- What does humility capable of doing?
- Not returning evil for evil or insult for insult but give a blessing instead. Wow! True humility does not retaliate when others treat me badly. Humility is so secure in their relationship with the Father that even when others act badly, true humility can offer a blessing.
- The humble turn away from evil and do good. Humility turns away from evil. They seek peace and pursue it.
- Those who love life do not let others determine their state of happiness or fulfillment. The reason is simple: they are so secure in their relationship with the Father that His voice and His opinion matter more than anything else.
- The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous.
- The Lord’s ear hears the prayers of the righteous.
- The Lord is against those who do evil.
Even in our current world circumstances and challenges we can love life because of being committed to keeping our focus on the things that really matter. We do not have to allow others to dictate how we behave. May you continue to enjoy the fullness of His presence in and with you.